The Civic Center Redevelopment
In University City, PIDC partnered with The University of Pennsylvania and The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in converting the former Civic Center and Philadelphia General Hospital complex into a 2.75million square foot state-of-the-art campus of hospitals, healthcare facilities and research centers in one of the world’s leading medical communities.
The partners launched the joint development in 2005 outlining a timeline and development requirements for each institutions’ parcel(s). Two acres of the property was designated for a 1900-car garage on the southern-most end, which was jointly completed by Penn and CHOP. The remaining 17 acres of the Civic Center site were re-divided to create a central parcel owned by CHOP, flanked by two Penn parcels. In the eight years since, Penn and CHOP has completed or started construction of over 2.75 million square feet of medical research, clinical, office, outpatient treatment, parking, and ancillary commercial space on the site. Combined, both institutions have invested over $2B in their respective facilities on the site. PIDC represented the City of Philadelphia in the planning of reuse for the Civic Center site and in the related negotiations with Penn and CHOP. Twenty years ago, PIDC played a similar role in the redevelopment of the former Philadelphia General Hospital property which is located across Civic Center Boulevard and today is densely developed with healthcare uses.