POSITION: DIRECTOR, NAVY YARD MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
DEPARTMENT: NAVY YARD
REPORTS TO: SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, NAVY YARD
PIDC is Philadelphia’s public-private economic development corporation. Our mission is to spur investment, support business growth, and foster developments that create jobs, revitalize neighborhoods, and drive growth to every corner of Philadelphia. We offer flexible financing products, a targeted portfolio of industrial and commercial real estate, and decades of Philadelphia-based knowledge, to help our clients invest, develop, and grow throughout the city of Philadelphia. You can learn more about PIDC at www.pidcphila.com.
Since acquiring the 1,200-acre former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in 2000, PIDC has managed its transformation into a thriving mixed-use campus on the Delaware River. The Navy Yard features an eclectic mix of historic buildings and new high-performance and LEED-certified construction oriented around world-class open space. The Navy Yard is now home to more than 150 companies with 15,000 employees.
PIDC’s Navy Yard team is responsible for making the Navy Yard a great place to work, visit, invest, and develop. Specifically, the team is responsible for commercial leasing, development planning and partnerships, campus programming, transit, electric utility operation, and infrastructure. development. You can learn more about the Navy Yard, its history, current activity and plans for growth at www.NavyYard.org.
PIDC seeks a motivated, results-oriented individual to join its Navy Yard team as Director, Marketing and Communications. This position reports to PIDC’s Senior Vice President (SVP), Navy Yard, and has one direct report, the Navy Yard Community Engagement Coordinator (responsible for managing the Navy Yard’s event portfolio, community programming corporate social responsibility, and social media). Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Marketing & Communications
- Develop and execute a robust marketing and communications strategy, including press releases, collateral, talking points, presentations, and digital and traditional media content. Coordinate closely with the Navy Yard SVP, PIDC communications and marketing team, and stakeholders. Maintain repository of Navy Yard articles.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of contacts to advance the Navy Yard’s communications strategies and substantive objectives, including media representatives, Navy Yard businesses and development partners, the U.S. Navy, key stakeholders (e.g., adjacent owners, funders, government agencies, chambers of commerce), event organizers, and elected officials. Promptly respond to media inquiries and publicity opportunities. Provide tours and 1:1 or group meetings to familiarize key stakeholders with the Navy Yard and targeted projects/activities.
- Manage the Navy Yard’s branding strategy across all communications, marketing, and operating activities (e.g., logo, marketing collateral, website, social media, signage, shuttle bus wraps, videos, presentations, advertising). Coordinate regularly with the Navy Yard’s real estate development partners to ensure branding strategies are mutually supportive, consistent, and complementary.
- Oversee the creation of regular, engaging content for all communication channels Respond promptly to all social media messages. Track and report on social media engagement and followers using Sprout Social and other analytics tools. Maintain the Navy Yard’s website using Expression Engine.
- Provide communications and marketing support for all Navy Yard initiatives (e.g., corporate social responsibility, transit, master plan, Navy Yard electric utility). Update strategies to incorporate and support new users (e.g., new residential development) and changing conditions at the Navy Yard.
- Identify and leverage opportunities to submit Navy Yard projects for regional, national, and international real estate/placemaking awards.
- Manage a full-time Community Engagement Coordinator, intern(s), and periodic external consultants and/or contractors.
Events & Engagement
- Plan and execute events to promote projects and initiatives at the Navy Yard (e.g., groundbreaking/ribbon-cutting ceremonies, tours, conferences).
- Manage and grow a highly visible, revenue-producing portfolio of external events that draws over 100,000 visitors annually to the Navy Yard.
- Manage and grow a portfolio of community events for Navy Yard companies (e.g., Lunch Truck Lineup, Navy Yard 5k, Navy Yard Executives Breakfast).
- Provide direction and oversight for corporate social responsibility program, including special events (e.g., Bregy Elementary School partnership, WMMR Camp Out for Hunger) and quarterly Navy Yard Employer Engagement Committee meetings.
- Develop, launch, and manage new programs to expand the Navy Yard’s economic and civic impact. Develop partnerships and resources to sustain and expand new programs. Supervise grant-funded staff, as required.
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in marketing, real estate, or a related field.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; social media platforms and social media management software, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Sprout Social; and basic understanding of website content management systems and email campaign programs needed to complete the above task items. Experience with graphic design programs (Adobe Creative Suite or similar) a plus.
- Capacity and desire to function in a high-profile, public-sector environment.
- Effective interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with media, public and private sector representatives, and the general public.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Passion for the City of Philadelphia and enthusiasm for PIDC's mission to attract and retain businesses, while creating high-quality jobs for Philadelphia.
- Flexibility and willingness to support a diverse array of initiatives as needs arise.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to function as part of a larger team.
- A valid driver's license.
- Must be a resident of the City of Philadelphia or willing to relocate within a reasonable period of employment.
Interested applicants should electronically submit a cover letter and resume by no later than April 22, 2022 to the contact information below.